Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Skinny Tenor Or A Charming Bass

We all know that Steve Perry is the number one singer on my list. He hits notes that even I can't reach (which I think is somewhat criminal). However, let's not forget other singers who also get the job done. If Steve Perry is the top then Howard Keel is definitely the 98th floor. He has such a deep, rich voice. And, as we all know: the tenors wow the ladies, but the basses take them home.

Howard Keel and I first met in Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. He is one actor (and singer) whose movies I will watch just because he is in them. I can't say that for just anybody.

Here's a fun clip showcasing Howard's amazing voice.



I don't think we can really compare Howard and Steve. They sing in different ranges, perform different genres, and appeal to different audiences. Plus one is dead. But, if we could have them square off against each other, kind of like Battle Of The 80's Has-beens, who do you think would win?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you loved Howard Keel! What other movies is he in? And since I don't really know anything about Howard Keel or Steve Perry, I'm going to have to say Steve Perry would win a sing-off but Howard Keel would win the fist fight.

Marielle Carlisle said...

Oh my gosh, Ev, you crack me up! Where do you get stuff like this? "The tenors wow the ladies, but the basses take them home;" that's classic.

SBFSB sure is a great show.